Jack Saturday

Monday, June 27, 2011

Anti Wage-Slavery, Pro-Freedom Quotations Of The Week 680, 681

True guilt is guilt at the obligation one owes to oneself to be oneself. False guilt is guilt felt at not being what other people feel one ought to be or assume that one is.
R. D. Laing (1927-89), British psychiatrist,
The Self and Others, ch. 10 (1961
)




First I was dying to finish my high school and start college; And then I was dying to finish college and start working; Then I was dying to marry and have children; And then I was dying for my children to grow old enough so I could go back to work. But then I was dying to retire. And now I am dying.
Unattributed at
Reflection of Perfection blog


2 Comments:

  • "Why are we such fools - such tragic fools? How strange it is, our little procession of life. The child says, 'when I am a big boy.' But what is that? the big boy says, 'when I grow up.' And then, grown up, he says, 'when I get married.' But to be married, what is that after all? The thought changes to, 'when I retire.' And then when retirement comes, he looks back over the landscape traversed; a cold wind seems to sweep over it; somehow he has missed it all, and it is gone. Life, we learn too late, is in the living, in the tissue of every day and hour."
    - Stephen Leacock

    By Blogger Markus, at 6:45 PM  

  • Thanks Markus

    And as you probably know Stephen Leacock was an early exponent of Basic Income Guarantee, and radical reduction in work hours, in 1920!

    By Blogger Jack Saturday, at 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home