Jack Saturday

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Anti-Wage-Slavery, Pro-Freedom Quotations Of The Week 544-549

WASHINGTON — A confidential survey of workers on the Deepwater Horizon in the weeks before the oil rig exploded showed that many of them were concerned about safety practices and feared reprisals if they reported mistakes or other problems.
Workers on Doomed Rig Voiced Concern About Safety
By IAN URBINA
New YorkTimes
Published: July 21, 2010





AAA
I can read and write at the undergraduate college level - but I still cannot find work. My job was outsourced to someone who does not need to know English. Having 1 or 2 college degrees will not stop you from becoming homeless.
Zengoth




AAA
Yeah, yeah, yeah....I get it. And I do the best I can to be "mindful"....but at the end of the day, I'm just riding this bus; I can't even get close to the steering wheel!

I'm just working my ass off, in a soul-destroying corporate job (thankful that I have one); in a constant state of fear of redundancy (corporate "synergies"); working for less money (mandatory pay-cut), and doing the work of two others (who were previously "RIFd"); coping with obscene medical and Rx costs (due to a chronic illness), with little or no credit (unilaterally increased interest rate and minimum monthly payment; with a reduction in available credit limit).... Ya know, just "livin' the dream" here in the Fucking Amerikan Gulag!
Comment by
moloko_velocet




AAA
By the time my 6-year contract was up (standard for the job I went in for), I was an E-6 taking home over $4,000 a month, and even that combined with the gucci reenlistment package they offered me could NOT convince me to stay. I knew at that point I would rather go to working a nearly minimum wage job rather than continue to sacrifice my conscience.

Of course, that was when I only had myself to worry about. Now I'm 10 days away from my due date with my first child, my fiance was just laid off last week, I'm unemployed because of quitting my part time jobs to go to school full time using the GI Bill to live off (when I got prego I had to quit school and lose the GI Bill in order to qualify for medicaid), and every job that my fiance is looking at has crappy job security. In fact, the only jobs that either of us seem to qualify for which DO have any sort of job security are the civilian intel jobs that I did NOT want to get into because of possibly having to compromise my morals again. But now those Intel jobs, where I sell my soul, are starting to look like a good deal.

And I know I'm going to have plenty of folks screaming at me for considering it, but when you are facing homelessness with a little baby to take care of, versus compromising your morals, what would you do?
Anthropos' #39 Dilemma


AAA
My only son Michael is flying out of Mississippi to Afghanistan on the 24th or 26th of this month. This after serving in the Military in his early 20's, He just got back from Kuwait about 6 months ago, And lost his job as an electrician, even though the company was unionized. He could not find another job which would allow him to keep up with his mortgage payments and other living expenses. for his wife and two kids. So like many of his friends and other men like him, he decided to risk his life to keep a roof over his kids heads and food on the table. He's not the youngster he used to be anymore, he's now going on 40. This is total bullshit, that in America, men have to literally risk their lives because they can't find a job in today's economy to support their family.
I have even begun to wonder
june roldan

AAA
Man [sic] is the only Slave. And he is the only animal who enslaves. He has always been a slave in one form or another, and has always held other slaves in bondage under him in one way or another. In our day he is always some man's slave for wages, and does that man's work, and this slave has other slaves under him for minor wages, and they do his work.
Mark Twain
The Lowest Animal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home