Jack Saturday

Monday, July 11, 2011

Anti Wage-Slavery, Pro-Freedom Quotations Of The Week 684-685

What, after all, is work? Nuances aside (as insightful as exploring them can be), work is production forced by and for survival. Its objectionable aspect isn't production, it's forced labor to live.





Until I was well into my thirties I almost always thought of my jobs as interruptions, intrusions into the parts of life on which I could become closest to being me. But gradually, by thousands of steps, each as insignificant as the twitch of a second hand, we get broken in, by infinitesimal stages we change, from rebellious colts to seasoned, stolid wheelhorses. Somehow we come not merely to accept the harness, but to need it. To be deeply uneasy, even deeply afraid, without it.
G. J. Meyer
 Scenes From The Downsized Life
July 1995 Harper's


1 Comments:

  • The second quote reminds me of Red from The Shawshank Redemption: "These walls are funny. First you hate them, then you get used to them. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them. That's institutionalized."

    Years ago that could've been me talking about the walls of wage slavery, but thankfully not anymore.

    By Blogger Markus, at 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home