Jack Saturday

Saturday, March 06, 2010

Anti-Wage-Slavery, Pro-Freedom Quotations Of The Week 486-488

As a boomer who started working at 16 because our parents taught us a work ethic that I see lacking in the younger generation, I say "spoiled?"

I was a single parent who often worked two jobs as child support wasn't a given in the "good old days." I certainly wasn't handed a house by my parents or helped to acquire one. I have watched as the unions in this province were dissolved one by one, all in the name of profit. We worked the jobs two and three people used to, all in the name of survival. A lot of my group are distanced from this "spoiled" life.

I work to this day through the pain of arthritis caused by wearing out my body by hard work. In a few years I can look forward to retiring in abject poverty after working all these years as my pension will be worth nothing with rising costs and taxes.
Carol Dunsmuir,
Victoria Times Colonist

March 2, 2010




London: You mentioned Goethe earlier. He remarked that our greatest happiness lies in practicing a talent that we were meant to use. Are we so miserable, as a culture, because we're dissociated from our inborn talents, our soul's code.

Hillman: I think we're miserable partly because we have only one god, and that's economics. Economics is a slave-driver. No one has free time; no one has any leisure. The whole culture is under terrible pressure and fraught with worry. It's hard to get out of that box. That's the dominant situation all over the world.
On soul, character, and calling: an Interview with James Hillman
By Scott London

aaaaa



The creation of freedom for oneself and a sacred "No" even to duty-- for that, my brothers [sic], the lion is needed.
Friedrich Nietzsche

2 Comments:

  • They say hard work never killed anybody. They are wrong.

    By Blogger Markus, at 7:44 PM  

  • Hard work kills all kinds of people. In Japan they have a word for it: Karoshi, "death from overwork."

    By Blogger Jack Saturday, at 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home