Jack Saturday

Monday, August 27, 2012

Anti Wage-Slavery Pro-Freedom Quotations Of The Week 862-865

Yet what I really wanted was to pace wolfishly around the house, half-naked in tattered jeans, spouting Dylan Thomas or my own bad poetry. Or go to a séance. Or cover a war for the New York Times. Or eat fudge for breakfast. Or have sex on the kitchen table. Or not make the bed every morning. Or better yet, sell everything in that big beautiful house, pack up some underwear and my bewildered husband and hightail it overseas for a while. I would have settled for an annual two-week car vacation to some dull, dusty town, if it meant I could actually drag Drew away from work. I would have been happy stealing a midday nap with him every once in a while - but enterprising young executives don't permit themselves such indulgences.

Instead, I mastered gift-wrapping for the endless celebrations of family birthdays, anniversaries, retirements, baby showers, graduations and Ground Hog days. Instead, I reluctantly climbed the corporate ladder into an airless office, amassing clients and doing power lunches - and tried to remember to wear underwear. Instead, I attended the mandatory Smith Sunday dinners, quietly chewed my roast beef, and nodded sympathetically at conversations I had heard before. I was proud of myself for keeping my mouth shut.

And besides, I had a gold card with no spending limit to anesthetize the empty feelings in my life.
Dana McNairn
A Marriage In Seven Parts
Dropped Threads 2



By the time our son was two, I'd been a homemaker long enough. Never good at repetitive tasks, I completely lost it over potty training. Spending two months teaching someone to pee in a container wasn't mentally stimulating enough, so I got an entry-level government job, which was kind of like potty-training but with pay. My first year working, half of my monthly salary paid for daycare.
C. J. Papoutsis
They Didn't Come With Instructions
Dropped Threads 2


God Says Yes To Me
Kaylin Haught
Poetry 180


I asked God if it was okay to be melodramatic
And she said yes
I asked her if it was okay to be short
And she said it sure is
I asked her if I could wear nail polish
Or not wear nail polish
And she said honey
She calls me that sometimes
She said you can do just exactly
What you want to
Thanks God I said
And is it even okay if I don't paragraph
My letters
Sweetcakes God said
Who knows where she picked that up
What I'm telling you is
Yes Yes Yes



Look around - find out who has integrity. Find your tribe, as Margaret Laurence said… You have family you don't even know yet.
Lorri Neilsen Glenn
Believe You Me
Dropped Threads 3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home